The original architects of Canada’s majestic Library of Parliament in 1876 could not have foreseen how the institution’s daily business would evolve over the next century and a half. In the early 2000s the Library found itself facing the need for additional space to house its collections, including the impressive Dominion Rare Book Collection. L+D’s solution was a 50,000 square-foot design that accommodates more than 11 kilometres of shelving as well as facilities for the Library’s Dominion bindery, including all of its historical binding, guilding and press equipment. With materials flowing constantly into and out of the space, seamless shipping and receiving functionality was a key element of L+D’s design.
- Optimized storage for archival preservation, including a dynamic buffer envelope and separate temperature and humidity controls for collections and general office areas